Pages

Friday, April 5, 2013

Don't hurry growing up please!

It's friday. I should be happy because it's finally weekend but I got so emotional seeing our babies' pictures. They are growing up fast. Too fast!

I believe this was their first picture together some four years ago -

This was Christmas 2009 -

And this is how they look like now. The picture was from my wedding in December last year.

It all started yesterday when my tita Winnie was telling me a story that my godchild Iya has a suitor already and how my tito was so mad about it that he wanted his panganay to transfer school. I can imagine your reaction might be that my tito was so OA. But you have to know this, Iya is just 9 years old and only at 4th grade! It's too early right?


This is her now -

Isn't she the cutest? No wonder she's growing up to be a boy magnet. But the memory of her being our first baby is still fresh. Here, I'll share it with you -

Anyway, as I was telling my tita, my view on this matter is mainly circling on TRUST. I know Iya to be an intelligent girl (like me! ehem). Given that, we do not need to make drastic moves about the matter. Just talk to Iya about it. If possible, make an usapan like 'I want you to reach 18 first before having a boyfriend'. Something like that. Then trust her to fulfill the promise. Have a chastity ring if you must (aka purity ring. to practice abstinence until marriage). For me, its better if the child is open to the parents about the matters of the heart. It will be better if the advise will come from you instead of from some random people. And I would definitely prefer her to be courted inside the house instead of in the street or on facebook! As parents, you should be your child's bestfriends. The kid should enjoy sharing things with you, even crushes! I got this from my officemate - She's making sure that her children are enjoying every minute of their stay at home so they won't get bored and eventually might enjoy others' company outside their house more. But you also have to understand that their growing up is inevitable. People bound to grow old no matter what. One day, no matter how hard you prevent it, they will leave you and marry their prince charming. What you can do is enjoy every minute of their being your baby. On the side note, that's also the reason why I do not like to raise a kid with my husband abroad. I mean you are earning money so your children will have a good life. You are doing it for their future because you love them so much that you are willing to sacrifice being away from them. I got that point. But you are missing the most important part of being a parent - seeing your fruits grow! I remembered D's father telling me that of all his children, he is more afraid of D. When asked why, he said - Hindi ko kasi sya nakitang lumaki. Aww

But that's just me. I mean that's coming from someone who doesn't have a child yet. My views may change once I have a girl of my own. But having experienced the strictness of my family on that matter, I vowed to not let my child experience the same damn thing. I grew up avoiding to talk about my emotions or should I say I was not allowed to talk about crushes and boyfriends. They were so scared I'll be like my mom who got pregnant before she turned 18. I ended up having a boyfriend anyway because in my mind I'm asking 'Why Not? It's not like I'll have sex or anything. I just want to experience being loved by a person that I'm not related to by blood'. Since I'm not allowed to talk about it, my questions were unanswered and I kept the whole boyfriend thing secret. I let my mom meet my boyfriend when I was in college already, on my 18th birthday and in almost 2 years in the relationship. Isn't that awkward? I could have done something wrong for that long because I was not guided properly. Lucky them that I'm not the pasaway kind of kid. Now I realize, that probably was what happened to those who got pregnant early. So please parents! Start to communicate to your kiddos! That's what I'm doing to my sister. I just hope my power over her is that much.


Getting ready for the boyfriend talk,
Yosh

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...