Pages

Monday, April 23, 2012

Bye baby!

A really heart-breaking disease struck my baby! aww
Hey not literally baby person but my one-year old Canon 450D DSLR.

I noticed these black blotch on my pictures a few months back. But i just ignored it because the occurences are not patterned and they rarely appear. I thought it was only lighting issues.

I started to get worried when the blotch became very distinct and they were appearing on consistent spots on the pictures. Plus they never disappear now.
see that black spot near the fan?
same spot with different orientation
 I thought these were just dust particles outside the camera - something I can easily wipe out.

I carefully observed the parts -
I checked the viewfinder first. Not there.
I detached the lens from the body, blew some air inside the body where the mirror-like thing is located. No effect.
I next checked the lens itself and took a peek inside. It was there. I saw where exactly the black blotch came from - and definitely somewhere beyond my reach.

The dust (or whatever it is) changes as I turn the focusing lens wider or tighter. I took a picture where the dust was more defined:
no! this is defintely not birthmark
Everyone from Google advised to never open the lens on my own. Always seek professional help.
Good thing my baby is still covered with 3-year warranty.

I brought my baby to the new Canon Service Center in Eton building fronting Robinson's Galleria. Grace (the girl who attended to me) diagnosed my baby with fungus infection. She said there are fungus formation from inside the lens and focusing screen. Her advise was to have my baby confined for 'Internal Cleaning with fungus in lens and focusing screen'. I really hope the problem can be fixed with cleaning because any parts replacement will get me to shed money since it is not covered with the warranty. aww
bye baby :(
For now, let's wait for 14 loonnnngggg days.
After that, I have to make a mental note to myself to always use my camera. Interestingly, seldom usage leads to fungus formation specially if the camera is stored unprotected in a very humid place.
I guess I have to take care of my baby more now. DIY drybox.? Yes!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...